As I researched, I made a decision that a blog or a wiki will be the best choice for my students. I am going to try to get this off the ground first for a couple of reasons. I want this to be an informational space, where I can communicate to my students. For example, I can post assignments, projects, links t helpful resources, and announcements for class. But, I also want it to be a conversational space where I can communicate with my students and they can communicate with each other. Ideally, I will be able to post a topic for discussion that my students will address. This discussion will take place on the blog or the wiki before a classroom activity, or the discussion will be an extension of the classroom experience. In addition, I would also like to encourage my students to use this not only as a place for their writing, but also a place for their voice. I have experimented with podcasts in the past, and that is something I would like to incorporate into the wiki. I noticed that Sam mentioned Audacity and I think that I will try this tool. When my students created their podcasts, they recorded on an iPod and then had to save and download the file into iTunes. I am wondering if Audacity will be an easier process.
Finally, as I think about the reflecting I had to do this past week, I am reminded that as a practitioner it is important to reflect on how these tools are affecting my classroom. I think that, for me, it is important that I have a clear vision of how I want these tools to function. Through frequent reflection, I will have to assess whether or not the tools are truly enhancing student learning. If there is a disconnect between the intended purpose of using the tool and the outcome, I will have to re-evaluate how the tool is being used and perhaps make some changes. Basically, I think that my first run-through with the blog or wiki will be a trial and a major learning experience for me and for my students.
5 comments:
I know you mentioned that you would like to create a wiki for your class and I think it is a great idea for any educator. I would love to try to do this some day. I know you stated that you want to get this up and running, have you made an attempt yet? I am really interested in starting one and was wondering if you were experiencing difficulty or not in this process.
Thanks for the question. I have a wikispaces account and have done one or two things with that, but honestly I haven't really gotten it off the ground yet. I was going to work on this for my final project, but a different opportunity presented itself that fit perfectly with Voice Thread, so I turned my focus to this. I am trying to decide how exactly I want it to work for me and my students. I know for sure I want to use it for online conversation and discussion and to post assignments, projects, and useful links. I also haven't asked my students to sign up for their accounts yet, so that will also be one of the next steps.
Victoria,
I also find myself focusing on the technology as opposed to how it can increase student learning. To be honest with you, I'm still a bit torn on this. I wrote in my blog that I have been trying to have a vision and outcome in mind as I explore these different web 2.0 tools. More recently though, I have started thinking about how I can use the web 2.0 in my personal life first. I'm really trying to build a personal toolbox that I can then draw on as I develop as a teacher. This idea is a shift in the way I look at and evaluate web 2.0 tools. Previously, if I came across something that didn't apply to my teaching, I quickly moved on to something new. I am now thinking that someday it could apply, so I am trying to keep out the bias of what and how I currently teach.
After responding to your post last night, I just came across this post in Wes Fryers' blog this morning: http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2008/11/18/videoconference-with-your-grandchildren/
Toward the end of the post, he says "It is very important that educators at all levels find personally meaningful ways to use technologies FIRST before they can be reasonably expected to find professionally worthwhile ways to integrate technology." This is definitely an interesting concept... thought I'd share!
Mike,
Thanks for the link to Wes Freyer's blog. I will definitely check it out. I think that if you are personally comfortable with the technology or the web 2.0 tool, you will be more likely to carry that over into the classroom. I know that if I'm hesitant about a tool I am a bit reluctant to use it in the classroom. And, like you said, it is important to have an open mind about these tools. I can relate to finding a tool, not seeing a direct connection to my teaching, and leaving it behind. Many of these tools are so versatile that, with a little more consideration, I could definitely find a way to apply them in the classroom.
Post a Comment