As teachers implement Web 2.0 tools, internet safety and security will inevitably become a major focus. This concept is not new to schools. In fact, most teachers deal with it on a daily basis when their students are working online. Although this topic has always been in the back of my mind, it was not until I read Chapter 7 of Solomon and Schrum that I really considered if and how my students are prepared to work on the internet. I was left with several questions.
1) What is our Acceptable Use Policy? Where can it be found? How is this policy communicated to teachers, students, and parents?
2) Do the students fully understand the content and the issues of the policy?
3) Where do students learn safe practices for working online?
4) How far does the school’s/teacher’s responsibility extend? In other words, to what extent is a teacher responsible for a student’s behavior on the internet outside of the classroom?
After reading chapter 7, I found myself feeling embarrassed that I was so unaware of such an important document as an AUP. Since I am implementing web 2.0 tools in my classroom, I immediately sought out the AUP, hoping that I could become well-versed in this policy so I could help guide my students in their use of the internet. Our technology assistant gave me what she “thought” would be considered the AUP. The document is dated 1998. This is problematic for a number of reasons. If the main technology assistant in our building is unsure of this policy, teachers who aren’t as experienced with technology will definitely be in the dark, too. I am not trying to pass the blame off on anyone else, but in my opinion, considering the importance of this topic, shouldn’t the AUP be a policy that all teachers are aware of and familiar with? If our district has initiatives for technology implementation, shouldn’t they also be educating their teachers on how to teach students online safety and encourage them to be responsible digital citizens? Furthermore, a document created in 1998 cannot possibly address the changes that we have seen over the past ten years in technology, nor the changes our students have experienced as a result of that technology.
Where do our students learn safe practices for working online? I am still trying to find a definite answer for this question. At this point, I am assuming that students learn safe practices according to the tool they are using. In other words, depending on what tool a teacher is using with his or her students, directions are given accordingly to guide students’ use of that tool. I also know that every one of my colleagues helps to guide students in their use of technology in the classroom to the best of their ability. But, our warnings have become generic and they do not address the real issue. Carrie, in our class Ning, brought up an excellent point. She suggests that instead of warning students to avoid inappropriate actions online, we should be asking them why they are engaging in this type of behavior. We know our warnings are ineffective because students hear them countless times, and yet they do it anyway. Like Carrie suggests, we need to dig a little bit deeper and try to understand why they are willing to engage in risky behavior on the internet that could potentially compromise their safety.
My fourth question is a concern that I think many teachers share and one that often prevents teachers from welcoming web 2.0 tools in their classrooms. I know that personally this is one of the main concerns I have with asking students to blog for my classes. Although I will provide examples and model appropriate behavior with this tool, I am still faced with the lack of control over what they can post on their blogs. If I ask my students to create a blog for my class and then a student posts something inappropriate on his or her blog, am I responsible? Is the school responsible? Or, is the student responsible? I think many times students see the internet and their actions online as part of a separate, untouchable world where they face no consequences and are not held accountable for what they do, say, or post. I think Susan proposes a great point when she says that we have to teach students to evaluate their actions online and to consider what effects their actions can have on not only themselves, but others. One way to do this is to involve students in the process of making the guidelines for a class blog policy. Bud Hunt’s wiki offers multiple examples of these policies and many other resources to help teachers and students in their blogging activities. If students understand how to be responsible on the internet, take ownership in creating the policy that guides their online use, and see the benefits to their learning as a result, they will undoubtedly find success using online tools.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your four guiding questions really reach the core of internet safety. In particular, I share your concerns regarding question number four. It is certainly a tricky issue that, in my opinion, needs to be addressed on a district level. It is the district's responsibility to do the research and take a stand on what the teachers are and are not responsible for. It seems like in our current situation, some of the teachers are ahead of the district regarding technology use. This is dangerous because the support of the teachers is probably not in place as it needs to be.
I think the students should be responsible for their actions; however, that "belief" has to come from the "top" and be respected throughout the school system. It sounds like it's time to head up an AUP/digital citizenship team to revamp that document!
Post a Comment