Implementation of new technologies in the classroom is of utmost importance and should be a main priority for every educator. Equipping our students with the skills they need to succeed in the 21st century means having a classroom where technology is not simply used, rather it is used in a way that enhances the learning environment and each student's academic experience. I feel this urgency on a personal level and after this class I think I am now better prepared to make the necessary changes in my practice. However, with that being said, I also realize that this can be a big change and the implementation process will take some time.
Through this class I have been exposed to many, many tools that can be used in the classroom in a beneficial way for my students. It seemed as though as soon as I practiced with a new tool once I was saying, "This is great. I need to use this." But, when you discover upwards of ten to fifteen tools, it is impossible to bring each and every one of those into the classroom at the same time. When first introduced to these great technologies it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of just how much they can add to a classroom. It is necessary to take a step back and really analyze if the tool can be applied to the content in an appropriate, meaningful way. I am reminded again and again that I shouldn't be using technology simply for the sake of using it. Technology integration, regardless of how simple the process can be, is an endeavor that should be carefully planned, with the standards and objectives of the content always in mind.
My experience with using VoiceThread in my classroom has been successful so far. That is not to say that everything has gone perfectly and exactly the way I had planned. Soon after my students began working in Voicethread I realized that our laptops did not have built-in microphones, so I had to ask for funding to purchase these. But, it turned out to be a minor issue and I had no problems securing the funding I needed. This is only one tool that I have implemented, and I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. But, I am definitely looking forward to the challenge. I have begun work on a wiki for my classes and I hope that this will be the next step in creating my 21st century classroom.
I have recognized areas of my practice that are in need of an update, but I have also recognized that an update is necessary on a district level. Although I don't have the power to bring about big chances on that level, I can focus on improving my classroom and encouraging my fellow teachers to do the same. According to Solomon and Schrum, there are six qualities that individuals must have in order for a school district to achieve success in the 21st century: individual excellence, organizational skills, courage, results (goal-oriented), strategic skills, and operating skills. I will concentrate on these individual skills while working with my colleagues to ensure that our district will be successful in the 21st century.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment